Owners of new and established businesses in Ontario have access to a large selection of government programs, services and financial incentives. Grants and loans are available to:
- Start or buy a business
- Buy or lease a property
- Sell or close a business
- Research, develop and commercialize a new product or idea
- Obtain a patent or licence
- Apply a new technology
- Hire and train workers, including summer students
- Assist employers in hiring individuals with disabilities
Information about financing programs and incentives is available from the federal and provincial governments and agencies that work to attract new business.
The Ontario Business Program Guide has an online directory of programs, wage subsidies, tax incentives and other assistance for businesses in Ontario. Some examples of special funds to help business are:
- The Eastern Ontario Development Fund, a grant program that supports project s that create and retain jobs, encourage new technologies and growth in new markets, and contribute to the diversification of the provincial economy.
- The Next Generation of Jobs Fund, a program that supports environmental advances in all areas of the economy, including advanced manufacturing and energy production.
- Energy Connections, a program that supports long-term partnerships for manufacturers and suppliers involved in the supply of energy.
Ontario East Economic Development provides information about doing business in southeastern Ontario and up-to-date news on government programs and other initiatives of benefit to business owners (see For More Information links below).
The Kingston Economic Development Corporation (KEDCO) has detailed information about programs and incentives to start and grow business in Kingston. KEDCO runs regular workshops and events on business-related topics such as financing and marketing new ventures.
For More Information
Programs and Services
Information about Ontario government programs and partnership opportunities to help business, industries and communities attract new investment and create jobs.
Canada Business: Government grants, loans and financing
A guide to financing programs to start or buy a business, hire or train employees, increase sales, research or develop a new product, buy or lease a plant or property, sell or close a business, reduce pollution or improve energy efficiency and other related topics. Includes a tool to search permits and licences.
Accessing Equity Financing
A guide to obtaining the financing necessary to launch a new business. Includes information about developing a business plan, alternate sources of financing, developing a proposal, identifying potential investors and negotiating and closing the deal.
Eastern Ontario Development Fund (EODF)
An Ontario government program that helps businesses in Eastern Ontario create and retain jobs, encourage the use of new technologies and pursue new markets.
Invest in Ontario — Business Resources
A variety of references and tools on Ontario's investment opportunities — from fact sheets to maps, to downloadable brochures and information on government programs. Some brochures and guides
are provided in alternate languages such as French, Japanese, Chinese, and German.