One of the first things you will need to do after arriving in Kingston is find a place to live. It's important to research the different types of housing to find the best fit for you and your family. This section is intended to help newcomers understand the housing and rental accommodation available in Kingston and other information that's important for tenants and homeowners to know.
- City Neighbourhoods — Details on various neighbourhoods of Kingston. Includes links to maps, information on services and amenities, and statistical information.
- Rental Housing — Information on renting in Kingston. What to expect in terms of leases, security deposits, insurance, laundry, utilities, and tenant rights.
- Buying a Home — Buying and maintaining a home in Kingston. Includes information on savings plans and assistance, mortgages, mortgage insurance, property tax, lawn care and snow removal.
- Subsidized Housing — Information on subsidized housing and housing assistance programs in Kingston.
- Co-op Housing — Information on co-operative housing programs in Kingston. What they are and where to find them.
- Utilities — Information on utility services in Kingston. Includes the use of smart meters; the use of electricity, natural gas, heating oil and wood; and water supply and services.
- Phone Services — Information on phone services available in Kingston. Includes information on the city's area code, time zone, and daylight savings time.
Emergency Shelter & Assistance
Kingston has a number of programs and services to help individuals and families who need short-term accommodation, food and other basic necessities.