Newcomers to Canada may be eligible for a number of government-funded settlement programs:
- Immigration Loans Program (ILP) — Provides loans to refugees and protected persons to cover the costs of their medical examinations abroad, travel documents and transportation to Canada. Loans are also available to help disadvantaged newcomers pay for rental housing, telephone deposits, and work tools.
- Language Instruction for Newcomers (LINC) — Provides basic French and English language courses at no charge to adult permanent residents, refugees and protected persons. See also Language Training.
- Resettlement Assistance — Provides financial assistance to refugees and protected persons for temporary accommodation, help finding a permanent place to live, basic household items and other living expenses.
- Interim Federal Health Program (IFH) — Helps refugees and protected persons with provincial health coverage for one year after their arrival in Canada. See also Interim Federal Health Care.
- Right of Permanent Residence Fee Loan — Provides loans to individuals seeking permanent resident status in Canada who can't afford to pay the permanent residence fee.
Newcomers are also eligible for other types of financial assistance and benefits. Some examples are: Employment Insurance and Sickness Benefits, Employment Insurance Fishing Benefits, GST/HST Credit and General Rebates, and International Benefits.
For More Information
An introduction to government-funded Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) programs with links to pamphlets on how to find them in your community.
A list of programs, loans, tax credits and rebates that newcomers to Canada may be eligible to receive.
A list of federal government programs to assist newcomers to Canada. Includes brief description, toll-free and TTY numbers and related links. This is also accessible through an RSS feed.
A listing of various social and family services for francophones in Kingston. Services include child development, early childhood centres, education and public health, counseling, homelessness domestic violence, etc. Available in French only.