. .

Fast Facts

car on road

Car Insurance

Driving without insurance is a serious offence in Canada and can result in a substantial fine.


Community Directory

The following organizations have been selected for this topic page from our Community Directory.

Home >> After You Arrive >> Social Insurance Number

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Before you can work in Canada or receive government benefits, you need a nine-digit number called a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

You can apply for a SIN card through a federal government office called Service Canada. You will need to bring a number of documents to prove your identity and immigration status in Canada.

If you are a Permanent Resident, you must include one of the following documents:

  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence and Visa Counterfoil attached to a foreign passport or travel document
  • Record of Landing if issued before June 28, 2002

Temporary residents must bring a

  • Work Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
  • Study Permit, issued by CIC, from the educational institution or campus employer who provided you with authorization to study
  • Visitor Record, issued by CIC
  • Diplomatic Identity Card and a note of permission of employment issued by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT)

At least one other legal document (certificate of marriage, legal change-of-name certificate, adoption order, notarial adoption certificate or Request to Amend Record of Landing) is also required.

Application for a SIN card can be made in person or by mail. Application forms are available online, at the post office and Service Canada centres. It takes about three weeks for a SIN card to arrive in the mail.

If you have a baby born in Ontario, you can apply online for a birth certificate and a Social Insurance Number at the same time until your child is one year old. Application after the age of one is done through Service Canada.

In Kingston, the Service Canada Centre is located at Frontenac Mall, Floor 1, 1300 Bath Road. The office is open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The centre's entrance, parking and washrooms are accessible by wheelchair.

For More Information

Social Insurance Number
Information about who is eligible for a SIN card, how to apply, what forms are needed, fees, protecting your SIN, replacing a SIN card and contact information.

What information/documents do I need to apply?
A list of essential and supporting documents you need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

List of forms (Service Canada)
A list of forms needed to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) that can be downloaded in a printable format.

How do I get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
Information about applying in person or by mail for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) and the documents required. What is a SIN and why do you need one. Includes a sample of a SIN card. Available in Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), French, Gujarati, Pilipino (Tagalog), Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tamil, and Urdu.

Social insurance number (SIN) — Canada Revenue agency
A Social Insurance Number is required for income tax purposes in Canada. Information about SIN numbers and the penalties for not giving a SIN or giving an incorrect number to anyone who prepares tax information on your behalf.

Service Canada Centre — Kingston
Address and location of local Kingston office. Includes map, holiday closure dates, and other general information. Also includes links to services offered, and numbers for direct phone and TTY services.

Was this page helpful?