. .

Fast Facts

Canadian flag

Immigration Status

The status of your immigration application can be checked online or by calling a call centre, embassy, high commission or consulate.

Home >> Studying >> Student Visas

Student Visas

Student Visas (called Study Permits) are required by students who plan to study in Canada longer than six months. Students planning to study programs lasting fewer than six months do not require a Study Permit.

Study Permits are not required for children enrolled in pre-school or kindergarten programs or for general interest courses.

Applications for Study Permits must be made at a Canadian embassy or consulate before entering Canada. Residents of the United States, St. Pierre and Miquelon, and Greenland can obtain Study Permits from immigration officials as they enter Canada.

For More Information

Studying in Canada: Study Permits
Detailed information about applying for a Study Permit. Includes Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Canadian Government website.

Study in Ontario — International Students
Information for international students interested in going to College or University in Ontario. Includes details on choosing a school and how to apply; what qualifications and admissions are required; getting credentials evaluated; and what tuition assistance options (scholarships, bursaries, and loans) are available. Also includes information on working on- and off-campus and work permits for students and post-graduates; obtaining university health insurance; bringing a spouse or a child; and options for living and working in Canada permanently. A video is also available.

Canadian Visa offices
An online directory of Visa offices outside Canada, Canadian embassies, high commissions and consulates, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada offices in Canada.

Find out if you need a work permit to work in Canada
This is Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) list of job categories for which no work permit is required to work in Canada. Note that even when a work permit is not necessary, other rules and requirements may apply.

Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?
A Government of Canada online tool that will walk you through your immigration options and help you submit an online or paper application. For those who wish to come to Canada or extend their stay.

Determine your eligibility – Canadian Experience Class
The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a subcategory of the Express Entry skilled immigrant immigration program. CEC is specific to those individuals who already have a qualifying amount of work experience in Canada, who meet the required language levels, and who are not settling in Quebec. Note that self-employment and work experience gained while a full-time student does not count under this program and that there are other restrictions as well. An explanatory video specific to students applying under this category is available.

Stay in Canada after graduation
The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to stay and work in Canada and gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience helps graduates qualify for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) immigration program. Criteria, requirements, and how to apply for this work permit are addressed. Includes a video on the Canadian Experience Class immigration stream for students.

Frequently Asked Questions: Studying in Canada
A FAQ with details on study permits and work permits for students. What is required to study in Canada, the process to obtain the required permits, and what are some study and immigration options available to students.

Global Talent, Local Business 2014: International Students Succeed in Kingston
A Kingston Immigration Partnership (KIP) initiative, this document profiles 11 current and former international students in Kingston. Coming from various countries, including Egypt, Pakistan, China, India, Mexico, Nigeria and France — and often by way of even more countries — they all chose to pursue their education in Canada. Representing a range of fields such as electrical engineering, pharmacy, marketing, education, economics, accounting, construction, energy management, and sales, these individuals — both those who are still studying and those who have transitioned to full-fledged careers — are actively involved in making Kingston their home.

Living in Canada Tool
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) online tool that helps newcomers learn what they need to settle and live in Canada.

Get a student work permit
Government of Canada information about student work permits for working on campus, off campus, as a co-op student or intern, or after graduation. Includes information on helping your spouse or common-law partner find work while you study.

Was this page helpful?